Thursday, April 03, 2008

Ahh...nostalgia...

It's beginning to look a lot like spring all of a sudden. Next month we will be able to go up and open the Love Nest...Woohoo! I miss it when it's winter.
This time of year also reminds me of times when Fang and I would take the kids camping when they were little. They had their own tent and we usually had a good time. The only thing was, once night fell, I found it very boring after the kids went to bed, just sitting there watching our campfire all evening. I loved waking up in the morning, with all the smells of people making breakfast and campfires. I loved sitting on the picnic bench after breakfast with a cup of coffee just listening to the birds sing. The kids would get busy swimming and playing. We would go on nature walks and see a rabbit or two, porcupines and chipmunks. Fang was very good at camping, a natural bushman and he made us all very comfortable.
The last time I went camping, It was just the girls and I with Bambi and her family. It was the most miserable trip of my life. The first night, the girls and I just didn't have enough blankets, so I wrapped the girls up in whatever I had and nearly froze to death. I don't think I slept at all the first night. Luckily, Fang came by and dropped off more sleeping bags for us. It rained quite a bit, and it was so chilly at night, nothing seemed to help. The blankets constantly felt wet and sandy...ugh..
I knew it would be the last time I would ever go camping in a tent. I was just getting too old for that. Now I like to camp at the love nest, or the Holiday Inn.
Oh, and the car rides from hell. Fang seemed to be a nervous driver and would constantly have road rage, swearing and carrying on every 2 seconds. Then he'd yell to the girls in the back seat, 'Stop kicking my seat!' I remember one time on the highway in the middle of nowhere, Ashley piped up, 'Mom, Holly threw her shoe out of the window!' Veins popping in my forehead, I yelled, 'Holly, why did you do that?' Holly looked sheepish...'I don't know.' I screeched, 'Did she just throw it out now?', thinking maybe we could find it. Ashley said, 'No, it was a long time ago.' 'Why didn't you tell me then?', I cried, sweat running down my face. Ashley replied calmly, 'I forgot.' Aaaarrrggg! It's funny now, but it wasn't at the time.
So for those of you who still enjoy the camping trips with the kids, have a cup of camp coffee for me, 'cause there isn't a chance in hell of me ever camping again!
I'll stick to the love nest, where 'roughing it' is one ply toilet paper and running out of ice for our cocktails, which never happens!
Take care all,
Tory

7 comments:

Holly said...

And then there was the raccoon incident....remember how they made noises and we thought it was bears.... and we had food in the tent. Why wasn't that fun for you? lol.

Berryvox said...

Hmm, I'll go camping but even I'm not touching the 1-ply toilet paper.

Hehe, those stories sound a lot like my first solo camping trip. I had no clue what I was doing. (And probably still don't)

Forsythia said...

We're off to Ohio this weekend. It is cold and rainy, but who cares? We'll be in a cabin, and the propane tank is full. A friend is Eldersitting my 99 year old Mom, who informed me yesterday that she has no children. The upcoming trip coulda had something to do with that zinger, dontcha think?

Tory said...

Yes, I do remember that Holly. You, your sister and I layed in that tent terrified. All I could think was that, it didn't really matter if they were bears or really dysfuntional raccoons, all that was between them and us was a lousy piece of thin nylon! Yikes!
Berryvox, you went camping alone? Even I'm not that crazy! Thanks for your comment.
Forsythia, I hope you enjoy your trip. That was hilarious about your mom saying she doesn't have any children. I've said that before..lol. Thanks for your comments.
Take care
Tory

Holly said...

Hey mom, then there was that camping trip where Fang tried to kill himself and the pastors kids had to distract us so we wouldn't find out....Good times! Nothing says church camping trip like a suicide in the family....lol.

Tory said...

Yes, it's true, Fang was the life of the party in those days, wasn't he? Thank goodness for a caring church family that got us through that. The opitomy of camping hell!!
Love Mommy

Tink said...

Your camping sounds adventurous. Ours was always a bit disastrous. Like the time my Dad put the tent at the bottom of a hill. Then it rained. We actually had a river running through it!